On 28-29 April 2015, the Wayamo Foundation and Riara University hosted a two-day symposium featuring Kenyan and international prosecutors, war crimes and crimes against humanity investigators, judges, legal experts, and representatives of civil society. See the SYMPOSIUM PROGRAMME.
Kenya’s Chief Justice & President of the Supreme Court Dr. Willy Mutunga provided the keynote speech. Also appearing Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany Andreas Peschke, Kenya’s Director of Criminal Investigations Ndegwa Muhoro and Kenya’s Attorney General Githu Muigai.
The conference and workshop were held at Riara University in Nairobi.
The conference sessions were organised in panel-discussion format to encourage open debate, and included expert speakers that formed interdisciplinary panels.
The panel debates focused on:
- Is there a complementarity turn? How „domestic“ is the future of international criminal law?
- National and regional courts dealing with serious crimes: Lessons learnt from the International and Organised Crime Units of Canada, Uganda and Rwanda, and discussion about an African Court with jurisdiction over international crimes
- The International and Organised Crimes Division in the High Court of Kenya — Why and How?
- The intersection of core international crimes and transnational organised crimes
- Justice, power and politics — tensions and linkages
- Challenges to complex international investigations and prosecutions: different prosecu- torial strategies, investigation challenges for national authorities, and witness protection
- Best practice in government/ngo collaboration with atrocity-crime investigations and prosecutions
- The future of international criminal justice
Speakers, panellists and moderators (in order of appearance):
- Andreas Peschke, Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Ndegwa Muhoro, Director, Criminal Investigation Department, Kenya
- Githu Muigai, Attorney General, Republic of Kenya
- Willy Mutunga, Chief Justice & President of the Supreme Court of Kenya
- Serge Brammertz Prosecutor, International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia
- Hassan Bubacar Jallow, Prosecutor, International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda and International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals
- Athaliah Molokomme, Attorney General, Republic of Botswana
- Philipp Ambach, Special Assistant of the President, International Criminal Court
- Waikwa Wanyoike, Executive Director, Katiba Institute, Nairobi
- Don Deya, CEO Pan African Lawyers Union, Arusha, Tanzania
- Lydia Mugambe, Judge at the High Court of Uganda
- Jean Bosco Mutangana, Head, International Crimes Unit, National Public Prosecution Authority, Rwanda
- Robert Petit, Counsel and Team Leader, War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity Section of the Canadian Department of Justice
- Sam Kobia, Chair of the IOCD Committee, Kenya
- Njonjo Mue, Human Rights Lawyer and Transitional Justice Expert, Nairobi
- Lilian Obuo Head of the International Crimes Division, Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, Kenya
- Amos Omuga, Superintendent of Police, Criminal Investigation Department, Kenya
- Jemima Njeri, Senior Researcher, Transnational Threats and International Crime Division, Institute for Security Studies, Pretoria
- Raymond Debelle, Co-ordinator, UN group of Experts for Côte d ́Ivoire
- Eric Kibet, Lecturer, Riara University Law School
- Alex Whiting, Professor, Harvard Law School
- Mark Kersten, London School of Economics
- Kevin Jon Heller, Professor of Criminal Law, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London
- Wambui Njogu Lecturer, Kenyatta University School of Law
- Adejoké Babington-Ashaye, former investigator, International Criminal Court
- Alice Ondieki, Director, Witness Protection Agency, Kenya
- Cristina Ribeiro, Investigation Co-ordinator, Office of the Prosecutor, International Criminal Court
- Simo Väätäinen, former Chief of the Victim and Witness Protection Unit, International Criminal Court
- Joseph Roberts-Mensah, Africa Director, Wayamo Foundation
- Jolene Harvey, Deputy Director & Senior Counsel, War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity Section of the Canadian Department of Justice
- George Kegoro, Executive Director, Kenya Section of the International Commission of Jurists
- Betty Kaari Murungi, Independent Consultant on Human Rights and Transitional Justice
- Joel Ngugi, Judge, High Court of Kenya & Director, Judiciary Training Institute
- Faith Nguru, Ag. Vice Chancellor, Riara University
- Sylvia W. Kang’ara, Dean and Associate Professor of Law, Riara Law School
- Bettina Ambach, Director, Wayamo Foundation
Photo by Muthoni Njuki, Wayamo.